In these times of crisis— the COVID-19 pandemic, our national reckoning on racial injustice and structural racism, and accelerating climate change— universities and communities across the international UC Links network have come together to radically imagine and explore opportunities for making change. UC Links programs throughout California and around the world have moved online and transformed practices and pedagogies for engaging P-12 and university students in expanded learning opportunities.
Responding to these crises has provided an opportunity to deepen our partnerships, both in the communities we work with and across the broader UC Links network to work together to support students, families, and communities.
The collection of resources below, developed collaboratively by UC Links programs, community partners, and the UC Links Statewide Office, are offered as tools to re-think and re-imagine how these programs engage in their work and to build the strategies that will carry us into the future.
Please contact us with additional ideas and resources: email@example.com.
Teaching & Program Resources
Undergraduate Teaching Resources
Synchronous Instruction, Student Engagement, and Community Building - 45 minute presentation by Glynda Hull on balancing a/synchronous learning and promoting a sense of belonging and community in the UC Links course she teaches. Excellent resources and examples included.
- Developed by Glynda Hull for the Graduate Remote Instruction Innovation Fellows Program (July 2020).
UC Links Fieldwork Series - Brief videos focused on specific topics related to UC Links fieldwork
- Four ways to improve your fieldwork research
- Teacher-researcher as observer-participant
- How to write an effective field note
- Reflective and reflexive practice
- Developed collaboratively by Charles Underwood, Glynda Hull, John Scott, and Rian Whittle for Education 140: The Art of Making Meaning
Youth Development Program Mentoring Resources - Videos and related downloadable tip sheets that address common youth development program concerns such as community building and culturally responsive practices.
- Developed in collaboration with Math CEO and UC Irvine School of Education (Summer 2019).
Beyond the Fifth Dimension: University-Community Partnerships in Learning - One hour video describing the establishment of the first school-based Fifth Dimension in San Diego (first 30 minutes) and the establishment of the Democracy Lab at the Town and Country Learning Center (31 minutes to end).
- Produced in collaboration with UC San Diego, the Laboratory of Comparative Human Cognition, and UC Links (2013).
Program Resources & Activities
BetaLab Maker Activities - Fourteen brief instructional videos for maker-projects created by undergraduates in the UC Links course at UC Davis.
Story Time - Five videos of children's stories created by the St. George Youth Center in Isla Vista.
Course Syllabi & Readings
UC Links Network
UC Links Readings - This reading list includes UC Links and Fifth Dimension background readings as well as articles that are commonly used in undergraduate courses across the UC Links network.
University of California systemwide library access:
- Underwood, C., Welsh Mahmood, M., & Vásquez, O. (2021). A cultural historical approach to social displacement and university-community Engagement: Emerging research and opportunities. IGI Global (https://bit.ly/UCLinksCommunityEngagementBook2021)
- Lee, C. D., Pea, R. D., & de Royston, M. M. (Eds.). (2020). Handbook of the cultural foundations of learning (p. 24). London: Routledge.
Education 140 - The Art of Making Meaning (Fall 2020)
City Planning 260/190 - Participatory Planning with Young People and Schools: Y-PLAN (Spring 2020)
UC Los Angeles
Education /African American Studies 194B - Culture, Gender & Human Development (Fall 2019)
UC Santa Barbara
Education 124 - Practicum in Community Based Learning (Fostering Sustainable Futures through Community Based Literacies) (Fall 2020)
Brigham Young University (Utah)
Anthropology 490 - Designing Community-Based Interventions (Fall 2020)
Artifacts & Materials
Overviews: Mazes & Rooms
Virtual Maze & Implementation Phases - Fifth Dimension (Whittier College)
Virtual Rooms & Expectations - Fifth Dimension (Whittier College)
Letter from the Wiz! - Fifth Dimension (Whittier College)
How to Make Ooblek (Spanish subtitles) - Fifth Dimension (Whittier College)
How to Make a Valentine's Day Tree (Spanish subtitles) - Fifth Dimension (Whittier College)
STEM Weekly Experiments - Fifth Dimension (Whittier College)
Zoom Ice Breakers & Community Builders - Fifth Dimension (Whittier College)
Zoom Ice Breakers & Community Builders - CASE (UC Irvine)
- Subscribe to the UC Links Google Calendar: https://bit.ly/UCLinksCalendar
Virtual Gatherings Notes & Recordings
- Visit the UC Links YouTube channel for recordings
- February 2021 - UC Links State of the Network Slides
- December 7, 2020 - UC Links Virtual Office Hour Notes
- November 2, 2020 - UC Links Virtual Office Hour Notes
- September 25, 2020 - UC Links Virtual Coffee Hour Notes
- June 23, 2020 - UC Links Virtual Roundtable Notes
Estas Manos Digital Stories (Spanish & English) - Community Education Program Initiative (Whittier College)
Google Classroom Tutorial (Spanish) - Community Education Program Initiative (Whittier College)
Google Classroom Tutorial (English) - Community Education Program Initiative (Whittier College)
Family Online Consent Form - Fifth Dimension (Whittier College)
Family Online Consent Form (English/Spanish) - Math CEO (UC Irvine)